Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Good Reason I Didn't Like Hair

The Public Theatre (home of Shakespeare in the Park) opened its second show, Hair, for previews on Tuesday night. My family and I went together, and, I'm sad to say, I didn't enjoy it that much.

Although the show opened with remarks about Hair's relevance to today, the musical really felt dated and kitchy. When it premiered in 1968, many of the songs and sight gags were incredibly controversial, but now they fall flat, which is, in many cases, a good thing. I thought the "Black Boys/White Boys" song was a complete waste of time with lousy lyrics, sample:
Black boys are delicious
Chocolate flavored love
Licorice lips like candy
Keep my cocoa handy
I have such a sweet tooth
When it comes to love

but my perspective changed when I was reading about the show and found out that, since the show premiered so soon after the push to repeal anti-miscegenation laws, this song (sung by white girls) was shocking and offensive. A number of similar gags playing on racism, homophobism, and whatever the term is for people who are anti-nudist are obsolete.

It's a cultural victory that takes the fun out of seeing the show, except as an historical/anthropological document. It might have been better, but I'll save my other objections for my next post: "The Bad Reason I Didn't Like Hair.

N.B. Anyone near NYC who wants to see the show, it runs through the end of August and is totally free. To get tickets, you wait on line in the morning in Central Park. For veterans of the line, best show up early (8-9 am at the latest). My family got the very last tickets showing up at 11:30am for the first show of previews of a dated show that, apart from Jonathan Groff, had no stars. Enjoy.

No comments:

 
/*begin google analytics code*/ /*end analytics code*/