Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hobbes at Senate Hearings, Leaves without Covenant

Yeah, I wish.

I thought that Professor Garsten did a fine job lecturing on Hobbes's De Cive, but it was sweet of the Fed to give me an object lesson. So I'm supposed to consent to giving Paulson god-like powers over the economy and at the same time waive any ability to withdraw that consent or check his actions in the future. It's asking a lot, sure, but this is a crisis! Any form of division will delay us for too long! We need to put aside our petty factions and cede authority to one leader!

(I'd have titled this post "Leviathan Wept" but that title's been taken by author Daniel Abraham as the title of his excellent short story.)

I guess Congress didn't notice that the last time we passed a bill in crisis mode, with lawmakers not even bothering to read the bill (I'm looking at you, John McCain) didn't work out so well.

Frankly, whatever the merits of the original failout bill, I'm still blaming Congress for the Dow drop. If they (especially stop-the-presses-stop-the-debates McCain) hadn't built up the bill as a rush job, we could have actually read and debated it, which seems appropriate, given its importance and scale.



I realize I'm following up my last post with another real-life application of my Democratic Rhetoric class. Next week we read Woodrow Wilson, so stay tuned for the dissolution of the UN.

No comments:

 
/*begin google analytics code*/ /*end analytics code*/